Post Royal Commission - Future Implications on Risk & Compliance, MELBOURNE
NOTE: Registration for this event has now closed, as the venue is at full capacity. Should you wish to be added to the waitlist, please contact the RMA events team on email@example.com
RACV City Club, Bayside Room 5 & 6, 501 Bourke Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Thu 13 June 2019 | 4.30pm Presentation followed by Networking Drinks from 5.30pm – 6.30pm
The RMA is delighted to bring you this event hosted by Protiviti.
Join us for this important event where Mark Burgess will lead a discussion on the future implications on Risk and Compliance, following the Royal Commission and the introduction of greater personal accountability and how this will ultimately drive change.
Speaker: Mark Burgess, Managing Director, Protiviti
About The Speaker:
Managing Director, Protiviti
Mark has over 17 years of risk and regulatory compliance experience in financial services industry. Mark commenced his career as a regulatory supervisor at APRA where he gained invaluable experience in overseeing the ongoing prudential compliance with relevant Prudential Standards and conducting onsite risk management supervisory inspections at APRA regulated institutions.
Mark has spent a significant time in professional services consulting to leading financial services organisations both locally and internationally. Mark has a proven track record delivering deep insights to his clients through leading the design and delivery of contemporary risk management, regulatory compliance and capital management framework solutions.
- On several occasions, Mark has been seconded as Chief Risk Officer/Head of Risk to clients for the purpose of leading the day-to-day oversight and management of risk management and regulatory compliance frameworks. This includes leading the delivery of board and executive engagement and reporting, line 1 stakeholder engagement and leading management and implementation efforts that pertains to a line 2 risk management function.
- Led over 35 client engagements in the past 3 years assisting in the design, implementation or independent review of client’s Risk Management Frameworks in accordance with regulatory driven risk management compliance requirements (including annual and comprehensive review requirements).
- Led programme delivery of a regional enterprise risk management solution to a leading global bank. The Programme scope covered the design, piloting and implementation of Risk Control Framework operating model and ERM technology solution across the Australian and New Zealand region. The project delivered an integrated risk and compliance management way of working across the 3 lines of defence including the testing and implementation of technology solutions to enable effective implementation.
- Led many compliance remediation projects to assist clients design and implement solutions in response to regulatory notices of non-compliance. Mark has managed Board and Senior Management stakeholder groups, facilitated and advised clients in regulator response strategy and engagement style, including oversight and managing delivery of projects to address areas of non-compliance.
- Led programme work streams for international and major Australian banks to design and develop scenario analysis and stress testing processes to estimate worst-case extreme loss estimates for risk management and capital management purposes. The work streams delivered stress test taxonomies, piloted stress testing process as proof of concern and development of prototype models to estimate stress test outcomes.
- Led ICAAP progress engagements involving review in accordance with relevant APRA prudential standards, solution design and development for leading international banks and local major banks.
About The Moderator:
Managing Director, Protiviti
Mike has over 24 years’ experience in governance, risk management and assurance, both in practice and industry.
Mike’s experience has included the design of risk management approaches, the integration of risk into the day-to-day planning and decision making activities of the business and the transformation and operation of risk and internal audit functions to increase their impact and deliver to the demanding expectations of their stakeholders.
Mike’s extensive experience in practice and industry in both Australia and the UK brings unparalleled insights, resulting in the delivery of high quality outcomes for clients.